As we have learned already, sticking to a theme or rule can really force oursevles to come up with creative ideas, and like so, freeing us from our temporary art blocks.
At some point of our lives we all said “I’d love to sketch more” but found ourselves stuck as soon as we put the tip of the oencil on the piece of paper in front of us.
Well.. why not just choosing random objecs around us and draw them only for all day?
When I was studying in art school, I remember it was very difficult for me to come up with ideas when my teacher allowed us to freely work on a project without any topic or subject. What should I do, ma’am?! Guide me, for god’s sake!
But as soon as we had something to base our work on, everything started to began easier and I had more creative ideas, as well as the opportunity to exercise more on my skills. Without any idea, I couldn’t draw anything; but I wanted to draw!! So frustrating.
You can start immediately!
How To Create a Regular Sketch Habit Drawing One Subject a Day
All you need to do is:
- Choose a subject/object around you. Pick the first/second one you see, don’t spend much time in selecting it! It is way easier to choose a random object around us instead of choosing a topic or subject to draw from scratch. Like this, your brain can focus on creating cute sketches instead of taking the majority of the effort and time to decide what to draw.
- Pick all the references you need. They can be images of your object, photos from pinterest or pictures from your immagination doesn’t matter. However, I recommend giving a try to live drawing; it’s a bit more challenging but I learned sooo much from it!
- Create your illustrations: This step might obviously take a while, depending on the final result you’re aiming for. The only thing here is to remember to not limit yourself: you have the power to decide to create a complete illustration, a detail only, a fast sketch and so on.
- Bonus: Add your own rules or limitations to the game! Also, each time the game can be different! For example, involve your friends and set an amount of time in which you have to follow this challenge. Share your results, draw together, organize painting sessions together and drink tea in the evenings, whatever you want!
These are the steps I followed to complete this exercise:
- First, I took a look around to decide which objects I wanted to draw for the following 2 days. My plants were in front of me, so I picked the subject for day #1. Also, I wanted to eat an apple, so fruit for day #2! Easy, right?
- After that, I took a couple of pictures of my objects, as well as searching for some inspo on Pinterest. (Pinterest is life-saving!)
- Then, I took my iPad around with me and drew my selected subjects for three days before writing this post.
- Well.. I started sketching a bit at this point. And these are my final results!
Day #1 – Plants
I took advantage of this challenge to experiment a bit more with my sketching skills. So I kinda merged some geometrical shapes, raw skethes and so on, without obsessing about the perfect final result.
Since these are exercise to improve my creativity and force myself to draw a bit, I find it really counterproductive to block myself to reach perfection.
Wanna be always updated?
Don’t lose our new posts, activities, exercises and some behind-the-scenes. Joining our newsletter is easy and free.
Day #2 – Fruit
I already drew fruit for a whole day since I am a HUGE fan. I love fruit!
But as mentioned before, I wanted a more raw/sperimental result from these skethces (makes sense?) so I drew fruit again!
I’ll share with you guys my first fruit sketches as well, since I am really proud of them and can maybe be useful to see a different style and approach to sketching!
Aaand this is the second attempt after a while!
You can also see that my style kinda changed between these two pictures.. that’s what practice usually brings! Give it a try and you might see so many improvements and changes in such a short amount of time:D
I’ve just challenged myself for two days before this post, but will definitely implement this exercise in my sketching routine to always keep my hands moving!
And that’s it! Nothing else to add 😀
I really hope you liked this exercise and that it was helpful for you! I really recommend to include this exercise in your daily/weekly routine to improve your creative and drawing skills!
I’d love to see your results, and the ones of your friends too! So, if you have joined the game as well, it would be amazing if you shared your drawings with us.
Latest posts from Sciupp.com